Saturday, January 20, 2007

About a 1/2 hour ago, Caroline suddenly removed her pants and diaper and announced that she didn't want to wear diapers anymore. This was pretty much unprovoked, although we've been working to set the stage for self-training for the past year. We've demystified the toilet, and have had her use it before bathtime every night. I bought her Dora the Explorer underpants a few months back, and talked them up pretty well. She's given them a test run a few times, but then asks for her diapers back. So basically, she doesn't fear the toilet, and she understands that pretty much all non-babies wear underpants and use the loo, and she hasn't had any undue pressure to use the toilet. Still, I was shocked by this turn of events.

After her declaration of independence from diapers, she demanded underpants (a first!), and she's already used the potty quite skillfully once already this evening. I'm cautiously optimistic about having her completely done with training by May. ( I would make the deadline earlier, but I don't want to set us all up to fail on the off-chance that she rebels and demands diapers until she's 5). We're trying to be really casual about it, and we're trying to let her think it's her idea to get rid of the diapers.

In other news, I cannot believe I just posted this message re: someone's bathroom habits on the internets. But considering that far more graphic posts have been made in the past, I'm ok with it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Diapers are much better when we're out and about - I can only take her into the men's room (unless I'm in drag, again) and those aren't designed for little girls. D'oh.

January 20, 2007 8:06 PM  
Blogger Lucy said...

Tentatively congratulations.

January 20, 2007 8:59 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

There are increasing #'s of family bathrooms. Also, you'll be with her in the bathroom - so you'll whisk her into a stall, away from prying eyes. And I'm around at least 25% of the time to handle out and about stuff.

Of course, you do make a rather handsome woman, so the drag thing is also an option. (kidding, kidding)

The teenage Caroline is going to HATE this blog. :)

January 20, 2007 9:39 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Teenage Caroline might hate this blog, but adult Caroline is going to LOVE it. It's so hard to imagine my parents being young and hip and completely clueless about raising a child' you've documented every detail so that she can later laugh at you.

Congratulations on the (maybe) potty training! What are you going to do with your time and money now that you no longer have to make frequent diaper runs? There should be some sort of graduation ceremony (for the parents) when they finally get their child potty trained, with balloon and circus animals and lots of booze. Lots and lots of booze.

I agree with Cheryl on the family bathrooms. Everywhere I turn there's one nowadays, even in our Wal-Mart! I'm also digging the Nursing rooms that are popping up everywhere. I like that the world is finally understanding that the modern family doesn't mean only mom is home with kids, and that all she does all day is stay home, cook, and clean. I like that mom or dad can go out in public with the kids and have the facilities they need to take care of them properly.

January 21, 2007 11:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home




Since October 1, 2004
Web-Counter